Friday, May 25, 2018

Tiny Lace

I have begun my journey on the road to learn how to do "Honiton bobbin lace".  In the package I received that had the pillow, bobbins and a book, also had a dvd with one simple project and very clear instructions.

I have had to un lace about as much as I have laced, but I think I finally got the idea of "gaining on a pin", as they say in Devon, though I think we say it differently here in the US.  The idea is to use the inner pinholes twice and the outside pinholes only once, so that the petals are like a fan and not slanted.



This piece is really tiny, with tiny thread and tiny pins.  I had to buy some magnifying glasses to see where to put the pins.
To give you an idea of the size the flower head is about the size of a dime.  It is a challenge for sure, but I aspire to so much more!  I love the flowery laces like Honiton and Duchesse, but I must first do the baby steps.  (Be sure to look these up on Pinterest)

Carol, my Weaving teacher who got me into this in the first place, has suggested that I make hankies for my granddaughters to carry in their weddings.  The books I already have on hand, have many patterns for me to choose from.  Let the lacing beginning!

Until next time, Happy Lacing, Tina

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh my how lovely. I'm betting your grands would treasure those hankies for a lifetime.
Happy lacing to the hedgehogs everywhere!

LA said...

That is a lovely piece!!!! I think your granddaughters would love to have a lace edge hanky for their wedding!!!

erin said...

Tina, it was so nice to get to see you *and* this beautiful lace today! I look forward to more of both. :-)