Thursday, May 10, 2018

Return to Log Cabin



   I'm back weaving in my little log cabin Loom House at the Museum of Appalachia.  It sits beside the Peter's House where we weave and spin in the winter, and Tina spins on the porch now that it's warm enough.
  Since we have had such a chilly Spring, I just got the new warp on the Rocker Beater loom recently.


  Knowing I was behind schedule getting the warp on the loom, I even spent a Sunday afternoon threading.  It was surprising how many folks stopped by while I was working.  That also explains why I didn't get a lot done while I was there.
  Since this is log cabin, I wanted three inch blocks of color.  I used clothespins to keep the groups separate behind the heddles.  I caught myself chanting, "blue, white, blue, white" or "white, blue, white, blue."


  On Monday, I had 250 fourth graders touring the Museum.  Each group spent about 20 minutes in the Loom House/Peters House area.  I started them out just talking about the Loom House, the Rocker Beater loom and what would have been woven on this loom.  I was sleying the reed in-between groups....but still not weaving.
  I also gave them some things to look for in the Peter's House.
   By the end of the day, I got tied on and did a little sampling with some other colors of weft I had been thinking about.

    I had two schools  on Wednesday, and I was up and weaving!!!!

  It's better than a magic trick! 

It's been a few years since I have done any log cabin, and I forgot how fun it was!  I also forgot how you have to keep on your toes about the edges....sometimes , if you aren't careful, you don't catch the selvedge threads just right!!!!








  With the first rug finished, I added in two red threads on each side to add a little interest to the next rug.  The blocks on this rug are five thick pics per block vs. the seven pics on the first rug.





  The red threads are suspended over the back beam and weighted with film canisters.  (Not too 19th century, I'm afraid!  If only I had a corncob and fishing weights, right?)

  I'll throw three pics of red after I finish three blocks.  There will be stripes for the middle of the rug, then a repeat of the red threads, and three blocks of pattern.  Since these rugs will be hemmed, they should last a long time....even in my kitchen!

Enjoy your Spring weekend!
Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

1 comment:

Theresa said...

They are lovely! The addition of red threads is a great idea. I'm going to have to give this a whirl on Buttercup! What are you using for weft?